Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ethical Eating

I made a resolution on the eve of the beginning of 2013, only I didn't realize I had made it until now, which is probably why, out of the thousands I have made, this one stuck.

The resolution was to no longer eat meat. That was a conscious choice, not really a resolution. The part of the resolution that dawned on me while having a conversation with my mom last night, was the crusade to eat ethically.

What I have learned over the past year by reading books like John Robbins; The Food Revolution; not everything that makes it on our plates had a happy life before it ended between our forks and knives. 

I understand some people will always eat meat. As my husband, a carnivore, has said many times, "We didn't design the system. Everything on this planet is consumed at the expense of something else. Be it plant or animal." True.

But we can decide to buy a steak from a happy cow, that got to live it's life naturally, grazing and contently munching on the fields instead of a cow that is born in a pen, and tied there for it's entire life until it's led or in many cases, pushed and kicked, into the slaughter house.

So now we ask the butchers where they get their meat. And we read the labels on the egg cartons and dairy products, and even though they cost more, eating organic, farm raised, truly free range meat and eggs, feeds our souls in an intangible way.

So I am happy to share that I recently found free range eggs at Whole Foods Market.
Vital Pasture Raised Eggs    











 





No comments:

Post a Comment