Sunday, May 25, 2014

The power of your intuition

Somewhere Out There #1
8x8 inches
Oil & Cold Wax

I wish I had been brought up in a home where intuition had been given a place at the dinner table conversation.

My parents were practical, pragmatic intellectuals and intuition, while not mocked, wasn't given respect, either. 

I always believed I was adopted and at age eleven, my mother confessed, "That's half true. Bill is your step-father, he adopted you when we got married. " (I was four). 

And if wasn't so physically obvious that we are related, I would have been convinced she was telling a half truth.

My mother and I are polar opposites. She is a realist. I am a dreamer. She is an atheist. I am spiritualist. She is rationally cautious. I am daringly impulsive. Which I realize now, as an artist, you have to be in order to be in touch with your intuition.

In Ian Roberts book, Creative Authenticity, he points out if we ignore our intuition it becomes smaller and smaller until it's a soft whisper we can no longer hear. 

I desire to feed and fuel that rich voice. I give her the head seat at my table as I listen to her with concentrated attention and bathe her in adoration. Let her ROAR.

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself. Alan Alda

No comments:

Post a Comment