Wednesday, February 17, 2021

What Is The Story?


 There is something I have been struggling with for years, why must an artist, to be taken “seriously”, produce a recognizable body of work? Recognizable in the manner when people see your art in a gallery, in print, on social media, they immediately attribute it to you.

Gallerists, other artists, and colleagues advise consistency as a way to brand you as the artist. 

When I look at the body of work I have made over the past fourteen years, at the beginning, I was all over the place. A result of taking a lot of workshops and copying the style of the instructor. Quite normal, I am told.

Once I realized I had to go beyond the instructors and their techniques to develop my own style (and frankly, I don’t want my work to look like another artists), I still found that I took pleasure in the experimentation phase of painting. What if is a part of my internal dialogue. Over the past few years, I have been working in a more disciplined manner, and can see a consistency of my hand on the canvas.

Then in the late fall of 2018 I re-discovered my love of collage and began developing a series that has no resemblance to my paintings or mixed media work.

 

The Black-Tie Affair

Analog Collage
22.5 x 14 inches

 While musing on this one early morning, it struck me; I am a writer as well as a painter. My collages are an extension of my writing, a form of visual storytelling told in paper images instead of words.

 What lights me up about collage is the ability to create fantasies, dual realities, puzzles for the mind.  

 What is the story of The Black-Tie Affair? Is it about loss? Mystery? Regret? Or simply a man’s remembrance of an exquisite moment in his life?

I am not here to tell you the ending. I am here to show you the beginning. The rest is up to you.

 

My Awareness is a Silhouette Floating in the Background

acrylic painting on Birch board
12 x 12 inches

My painting are also a form of visual storytelling told with pigment and paint. Here I strive to create worlds of calm, beauty and elegance. An oasis for the mind where you can lose yourself for a while, tuck the troubles of the world away and just dream.

My purpose as a non-objective painter is to create a visual landscape from the inside-out. The painting is my story and your story simultaneously. My version, your version, the true version.

 The End

 

7 comments:

  1. Eve you are such a talented storyteller with an array of skills at your disposal. Instead of consistency I would think of it as an expression of vision. People who interact with your art are able to journey with you because they continue to see the world you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a marvelous and insightful comment. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love you, too. Thanks for being one of my loyal readers. One day I would love to find a publisher for my essays and poetry.

      Delete
  3. Realizing that you are combining your writing and art must have been a great moment. All the parts of ourselves show up one way or another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and for your thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  4. I'm here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me, I'm from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan to expand my evergreen group company it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance all hope was lost until one fateful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from a very honest man Mr, Benjamin. She introduced me to this honest loan officer Mr, Benjamin who helped me get a loan within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on my feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: 247officedept@gmail.com they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of loan assistance please come to this honest man and you can be safe as well .WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete